Re: Emacs default bindings

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs default bindings
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 03:49:13 +0300

On 28.09.2021 14:37, Stefan Kangas wrote:

How come? The only case where I can think of this being distracting is
when using emoticons that may contain parentheses.

Basically, prog-modes have font-locking and therefore this doesn't stand
out that much.  In text-modes, it stands out more.

Having slept on this, and thought about it some more, I realize that:

a) It is not clear to me how visually distracting this is, given that
    this is only visible when you move point to a parenthesis.  I've
    lived with and accepted it for years; I'm sure it'll be fine in the
    future as well.

So you have lived with it enabled, just disliked how it works in certain contexts? With the local mode, it should be easier to choose now, at least.

b) It is easy to think of exceptions, when highlighting parenthesis will
    be very useful even in text-modes.

So, on balance, I don't think the drawbacks I see are strong enough
reason to object to this change.  So I wish to withdraw my objection.

I'm not sure this changes much with regards to what will actually
happen, but I wanted to put it out there for the record.

Thank you for writing this. It basically removed the last strong objection, which is really encouraging.

I've pushed the change. Hopefully the NEWS entries (this one and the next) will prove instructive enough.