Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 12:53:18 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 05:28:53 -0400
>
>   > Sorry, no.  We will not start a dispute about renaming eglot, because
>   > that would delay its merge, and we don't have time for that luxury.
>   > We want eglot to be part of Emacs 29.
>
> We can make this decision in a week.

That's not possible, not with these decisions.

And even a week's delay is too much.

>   > As for more basic arguments why not rename it: this package is not a
>   > new one, it is used by many people as a 3rd-party package.
>
> We can keep `eglot' as an alias for years or decades, or forever,
> if we choose a helpful name as the principal one.
>
> If there is no workable way to define alias names for packages, we
> should create one now.

That again is not something to consider so close to cutting the
release branch.  We have enough to do with landing Eglot to keep us
busy till then.

> The crucial thing is to have the various names
> in the _list of packages_, with the more helpful name preferred.

One more package with a name that needs a description is not a
catastrophe.  We already have a few.

Please help me get Emacs 29 on time and also with enough features to
justify a major release.  I _need_ that help, and I need the
understanding to go with it.  I do NOT need proposals that will make
the job harder.  Please bear with me.