Re: master 55f46cc77c: Decrease use of the word "Emacsen" in docs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 55f46cc77c: Decrease use of the word "Emacsen" in docs
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:26:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This is too much.  You are removing words we used for decades in Emacs
> development for no good reason.  You think they are "just jargony and
> unhelpful", but for me and others this part of our culture and our
> history of involvement in the Emacs development.  We treasure that
> history.  Right now, I feel like a chunk of my personal history has
> been rewritten.

I think the change clarifies the documentation, but if you feel
strongly about it we can of course revert it.

> There still are "other Emacsen" out there, even though most of them
> are all but moribund nowadays.  But even if they were completely dead,
> the word doesn't have to be removed.  It does no harm by just being
> there.

Well, it does cause confusion.  AFAIK, none of the other Emacsen will
work with semantic, TRAMP, or any of the other Lisp packages where I
removed that term.  Maybe XEmacs will work with some of them still,
but that's kind of besides the point these days.  For better or for
worse, in the context of these packages, there is exactly one Emacs
implementation that is relevant.