Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 22:57:41 -0700

> On Oct 1, 2022, at 10:15 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Tree-sitter needs language definitions to parse different
>> languages. These language definitions come in the form of dynamic
>> libraries. We can’t bundle them with Emacs since their version must
>> match that of tree-sitter library, and we don’t bundle the tree-sitter
>> library; also they are machine-dependent.
>
> If that's a problem, perhaps we could import the tree-sitter library
> into the Emacs tree, like the XMenu library currently is.

Tree-sitter is designed to be embedded, so it’s small and has no dependencies.
But tree-sitter could release a new version and then language definitions now
uses that new version, while Emacs is still using the old version of
tree-sitter. IMHO it is best to keep them (tree-sitter library and language
definitions) external since that’ll be easier to maintain, and Emacs don’t
depend on tree-sitter to function.

Yuan