Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hosting tree-sitter pre-built language definitions on ELPA?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 16:52:27 +0300

> From: chad <yandros@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 09:37:04 -0400
> Cc: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> If I want to build a changed tree-sitter language definition myself, the
> second-ish step is "install Node.js", and
> I stop there. (Whether this is a sign of taste or curmudgeonliness is left as
> an exercise for the reader. :-)

We are not talking about changing the language definitions, we are
talking about installing the ones provided by tree-sitter.  The use
case you mention is akin to your wanting to modify librsvg -- in which
case you'd need to start by installing Rust.

> For now, I suspect that something akin to the Windows snapshots on
> alpha.gnu.org might be a workable
> compromise if the problem actually comes up.

Windows snapshots are provided as a replacement for the GNU/Linux
distros, which are not very widespread on Windows, if they exist at
all.  If Emacs installations could be downloaded from, say, the MS
store, I doubt if we'd bother providing binaries.