Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:30:56 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>,
>   david@tethera.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 19:17:27 +0200

> > But I think I agree with Rob that it makes a lot of sense in the context
> > of Debian to eagerly native-compile the packages when they're installed
> > via APT.
>
> I've always assumed that that's what distributions like Debian would
> do.  Which means that there should be an easy way to switch JIT off, but
> I've just forgotten to add it.

If everything is already natively-compiled, there's no reason to
switch it off: it will simply not happen.

OTOH, if for some reason an existing .eln file is incompatible with
the user's Emacs (something that can happen easily on a multi-user
system), having JIT compilation active is a clear advantage.

So there's a net win in having it enabled at all times.

In any case, we already have a way of switching off JIT compilation,
at least for some situations which we considered.  If there are
situations which we didn't consider, we should consider them as well,
but for that we need to understand the situation in more detail,
something that no one presented yet in this discussion.