Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 14:28:32 +1100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I am reputed to be good at that.  nstead of telling me how hopeless it
>> is, which won't convince me, how about telling me what Eglot does?
>> Then we'll see if I come up with a more descriptive name.
>
> It uses an external program speaking the language server protocol to
> provide completion-at-point and cross-referencing (think
> xref-find-references and xref-find-definitions.)

and a fair bit more like

- code snippets
- code diagnostics and linting
- enhanced documentation and feeds into eldoc
- provide code actions to fix diagnostic/linter errors or suggest code
  refactoring
- hovering over symbols provides function signatures/documentation
- symbol renaming and other refactoring support

Note that what functionality is provided depends largely on what
functionality is supported by the specific language server being
used. All of the above may not be available in all language servers. It
isn't eglot which does any of this - eglot is just the client. The
language server is what does the work - eglot just feeds that data into
other Emacs facilities, like eldoc, flymake etc.