Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 09:18:39 -0400

>> - The rebinding of `display-local-help'.  I don't get why this is done.
>
> display-local-help is a generic at-point documentation facility.  It
> comes with a default binding in the Emacs global map.  M-x eldoc does
> not have a default binding (yet).  d-l-help is also a much poorer
> version of what ElDoc is nowadays.  Contrary to ElDoc, there is no easy
> way for Eglot to link d-l-help it up to LSP-provided documentation.

Oh... help-at-pt... yes that one needs love (and maybe integration with
eldoc-mode).

> I think you underestimate users' ability (and maybe also your own?) to
> remember a single 5 letter name.  Eglot has few commands, few
> customization variables, no bindings.  It's as minimalist as I and those
> who helped could make it.  For a beginner, M-x eglot is all there is to
> it.

I could also imagine auto-enabling Eglot when the circumstances are
right (e.g. when the major modes's own support code is not very well
developed, and when we can see that a good LSP server is available)
making even `M-x eglot` unnecessary.

        Stefan