Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:29:40 +0200

> AFAICT so far I've heard of two reasons to "disable automatic native
> compilation":
>
> A) Avoid the "uncontrolled" (mostly in terms of *when* it happens)
>    resource usage associated with it (e.g. battery).
>
> B) Avoid writing to $HOME.
>
> For (A), I think that (setq native-comp-deferred-compilation nil) seems
> perfectly sufficient (you can set it early in your (early) init file and if
> every blue moon some native compilation still happens because of a file
> loaded before that `setq` it shouldn't be a big deal).

I've now introduced the new inhibit-native-compilation variable and
deprecated the native-comp-deferred-compilation variable, and also
initialised stuff from EMACS_INHIBIT_NATIVE_COMPILATION.

(And made trampolines not write to the cache in this case.)

> This said, we generally do make efforts to try and avoid writing
> silently to ~/.emacs.d, so maybe we should rethink our choice of
> ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache as the default location.

I think that's a fine location in general, and now there's an
understandable and documented way to make that not happen, I think it's
even better.

> E.g. maybe when run as root, we should write .eln files somewhere under
> something like /var/cache?  And maybe when not run as root we should
> favor something underneath ~/.cache?
>
>         Stefan "who finds the idea of running Emacs as root a bit scary"

I run Emacs as root all the time.