Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 20:52:16 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,  david@tethera.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 19:39:04 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think that entire changeset should be reverted.  It is not well
> > thought out, and ion some aspects downright dangerous.  The
> > environment variable is especially egregious: it will affect all the
> > sub-process Emacsen as well, something that will bite users, a lesson
> > we've learned long ago with the likes of EMACSLOADPATH.
>
> How is setting EMACS_INHIBIT_NATIVE_COMPILE dangerous?

I just explained it, above.

> > Such changes should not be installed without a great deal of careful
> > thought and consideration of the different use cases.  Which I tried
> > to explain all the way, but apparently to deaf ears.
>
> The discussion has been going for apparently weeks no with no progress.

"Weeks"?  Boy, I guess time really flies when one's enjoying: the
first message of this thread was posted less than a week ago:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-09/msg01911.html

And it really started just 2 days ago:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-10/msg00015.html

But whatever.