Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:17:53 +0200

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 08:41:22PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> [Full disclosure: evidently, none of what I write below matters, so
> feel free to ignore.]

Now I think this is a bit unfair. You have a string opinion, and
I think it shhould be respected, but the others have, too.

> > You can only have one of them installed at a time, and you can
> > (currently) only have one major version installed at a time.
> >
> >   https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emacs
>
> That's strange to hear.  Even MS-Windows allows per-user variations of
> PATH and per-use environment variables.  It is strange to learn that
> Debian doesn't.

Note that this is only as far as the Debian packaging system is
concerned. Per-user you can have as many Emacsen installed as you
want -- the Debian packaging system doesn't know about them.

Alternatively, you can have a system-local install (going to
/usr/local) besides the Debian-installed one without them interfering
(that's the setup I use).

This is actually what I love in Debian: you have single applications
you care about which you install from souces and take over the hand
feeding, and for the rest you get hight quality packaging with pretty
low noise.

Emacs, for me, happens to be one of those care-and-feeding applications,
but for others, the choice might be different. It's them whom the
Debian-packaged Emacsen are for.

Cheers
--
tomás