Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 08:31:01 +0800

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> The point with battery consumption is not about running vs. standby.
> The issue is that while users expect that running apt-get will drain the
> battery, they expect that once apt-get is done, the only battery-hungry
> processes are ones they start themselves.  Laptop users typically avoid
> running apt-get without mains power plugged in.  If I do an 'apt-get
> upgrade' then afterwards my CPU will be churning away compiling addon
> packages, so I can't just unplug.

I don't know if that's true with Debian users, but nobody I know of
objects to running "dnf install" on battery.  After all, installing new
packages only takes a short amount of time, certainly not enough to
significantly affect battery usage.

OTOH, async native compilation is something I would definitely plug in
for.  That applies to other programs too, notably web browsers.