Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 14:08:21 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Eli Zaretskii
>>  <eliz@gnu.org>,
>>         rlb@defaultvalue.org, david@tethera.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 12:55:40 +0000
>>
>> I wish this change was not rushed.
>
> Me too.  Especially since I'm still struggling to understand the
> rationale of the Debian packagers to request this.

Agree and that's not all!  As we know native compilations happens
automatically for:

1- Trampolines, this we *cannot* disable in any case.

2- Deferred/jit compilation, this is *already* disabled in non
interactive sessions! (the way I guess Debian Emacs process is used for
package instgallation).

So I think this changeset does not help Debian packagers at all but ATM
is just more surface for future issues!

  Andrea