Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 15:12:46 +0000

> Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:
>
>> Well to give few examples you were not aware of: the `load-no-native'
>> mechanism, the fact that deferred compilation is not the only mechanism
>> concurring to automatic native compilation (and that's why it was named
>> as such and not just automatic native compilation), the fact that native
>> compilation does not happen in non interactive sessions.
>
> I didn't know about the first (because it's badly named and
> undocumented, as well as totally irrelevant to the discussion in this
> thread), but I was aware of all the other things here, and I'm not sure
> why you'd think otherwise.

Well because I cannot understand why one would do any of these changes
if these mechanisms are known.

> My perception here is that you're mostly angry that somebody else is
> working on your code -- but that's pretty common.  Many people feel
> proprietary towards code they've written.

This is not the case at all, please trust me, your changeset does two
things:

1- change the name a knob, but it goes from a maybe un-intuitive one to
   just (as explained) a plain wrong one.

2- add a mechanism that (as explained) cannot help with the user request
   in this discussion at all.

These are both not improvements, this is the reason I'm asking for it to
be reverted now.

Please don't accuse me to feel the ownership on this code, I've never
objected to other changes on this done on master as I thought were
correct.

  Andrea