Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 19:29:45 +0000

I think the Debian case is not relevant, because they provide all the *.eln files with the package you install (or so I understand).

I'm not 100% sure what they will do (the version of Emacs distributed by Emacs is at the moment still 27.1), but my guess is that this is not what they will do. There are, in fact, two cases:

1. When a user does "apt install emacs", this actually installs (by default) the "emacs-gtk" package, which contains only the "emacs" binary, and triggers the installation of two other packages: "emacs-common", which contains the precompiled elc files (and the files in etc), and "emacs-bin-common", which contains the emacsclient, etags, ctags and ebrowse binaries. I would guess that in this case, when the user chooses to install an emacs with native compilation enabled (say "emacs-gtk-native"), a third package will be installed, say "emacs-common-native", containing the precompiled eln files.

2. When a user does "apt install elpa-magit" (for example), the package only contains el files. These files are compiled to elc files during installation (and stored in a shared directory, namely /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp). I would guess that, when the installed emacs binary is one with native compilation enabled, these el files will be compiled to eln files during installation, and stored in a shared directory, too.