Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 20:04:34 +0000

I agree with the above. But then why did you say that my description was inaccurate?

I did not say that, or at least I did not mean to say that. I only tried to clarify something that seemed unclear, namely that eln files are not present in the package, but generated at installation time. It's a subtle difference, but it seems important in the current discussion.

What you described matches what I wrote perfectly: the end result, after installing Emacs and elpa-magit, is that the *.eln files are available for all the *.el files and stored in shared directories. Whether those *.eln files are produced on the system where the package is packaged or as part of the installation is not important; the important part is that all the *.eln files are there after the installation, and therefore there's no need to disable JIT compilation. And yet Rob says that he thinks there _is_ a need for disabling it.

If I understand Rob's initial message correctly, this subtle difference is relevant:

Perhaps relevant in other contexts, but at least in the context of Debian work, we'd like to be able to suppress all native compilation in some contexts, or more specifically all writes to HOME (or really, to avoid any implicit file manipulations[1]).

One key case is package builds and package installs (whether the emacs packages themselves, or any of the various emacs add-on packages (e.g. elpa-*)).

For package builds, HOME is typically set to /nonexistent (or similar), and for package installs we don't want the install commands (preinst, postinst, etc.), which are running as root, to write anything to /root/.

IIUC, what Rob wants is that

(1) on Debian systems on which Emacs packages are built, the build process is running as root, and nothing should be written in /root, and

(2) on user systems on which elpa-* packages are installed, the installation process, during which el files are compiled to elc and eln files, is running as root, and it should not write anything in /root.