Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 11:03:47 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: spwhitton@spwhitton.name,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  david@tethera.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 15:11:19 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Anyway, what would you suggest as a solution for the problem you
> > perceive with JIT native-compilation, which would refrain from being
> > "in the background" and "automatic"?
>
> The solution I would propose would be to defer JIT native-compilation
> until the computer is on AC power, as determined by battery.el.

We could have such a feature, but how to implement it?  If we use a
timer for that, the timer itself will drain the battery.  And if defer
it to the next invocation of the bytecode, we might never compile,
because who can guarantee that the laptop is on AC when some arbitrary
bytecode is executed?  Any other ideas?