Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 16:09:34 +0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > If the name doesn't make it
>   > clear what it does, the same is true for Emacs, Company, GNU, GCC, Linux
>   > (the kernel).
>
> GCC is an acronym for GNU Compiler Collection; that states what it
> does.
>
> GNU is an acronym for GNU's Not Unix.  By the convention for recursive
> acronyms, that implies something similar to Unix; in other words, a
> Unix-like operating system.
>
> Emacs is short for Editing Macros, which says it is an editor.
>
> That is not to say that none of those could possibly be improved upon.
>
> Company, by contrast, is one of the unclear names I think we should
> change for clarity.
>
> As for Linux, that name is not ours, so the blame or the praise
> is not for us.

I'm neither blaming nor praising anyone.

I mean the name "Emacs" doesn't make it what it does at the first sight.
Someone who have never heard about Emacs would wonder what it is, or
even can misunderstand it as something related to MacOS.

A Visual Studio may not understand what GCC is at the first sight.

Many proprietary OS users would wonder what Linux is.

Many Linux users have no idea about GNU, and at the first sight, they
might think of an animal, or even an asteroid.

Company stands for "COMPlete ANYthing", but as someone pointed out,
people can misunderstand it as a commercial software.

Even the name "English" don't make any sense to many people.

So instead of renaming Eglot or presenting it to the user with another
name, I think we should focus on other things.  Name is indeed
important, but it is already too late for Eglot.  If we change the name
now, all third-party documentations like many blog posts will become
invalid.  A stitch in time saves nine.  If someone informed the author
about this when they pushed for the first time to the Eglot repository,
then we wouldn't have need this debate now.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5