Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 09:30:47 +1100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The name I proposed, "Parse Code", fits this generality.

This is a terrible name.

If I saw a package called 'Parse Coded" I would expect it would provide
functionality you would normally get from a code parser. I"d be looking
for an API I could query to get things from the parse tree.

Eglot does not provide that. If anything, "Parse Code" would be a good
name for semantic as that is essentially what it does. Other modules,
like speedbar, semanticdb, ecb etc then query that semantic api to get
information from the parse tree.

Eglot doesn't provide that API. It feeds the data from the LSP server
into various other packages, like xref, flycheck, eldoc etc.

In short, the name 'Parse Code' would look to me like a developer
library for people writing elisp packages, not a general purpose package which
sets up a development environment for many different languages.

All I can say is I really pity future Emacs users should this rename
occur. When they use the package and run into problems, good luck
finding something relevant when you search for 'parse code'.

Just for fun, do a Google search for "Emacs parse code". Then do a
search for "Emacs eglot".

Which search results do you think would be most helpful to our users?