Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 07:38:24 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 18:34:03 -0400
>
>   > Yes, so take python-mode as an example.  It has both tree-sitter
>   > support and Eglot support.  How to use both? does it even make sense?
>
> Do they do the same jobs?  Are they intersubstitutable, in principle?

Not clear yet (to me).  Dmitry says they are basically orthogonal in
the features they support.

One difficulty here is that Eglot exists for some years, so what it
does and how is pretty clear; by contrast, tree-sitter support in
Emacs is very young, and where it could potentially develop needs more
study, at least on my part.

> If so, the question is, are they compatible in user interface?
>
> If they are intersubstitutable, in principle, maybe they ought to have
> the same user interface so that most users would not notice or care
> which one is doing the job.

You are basically asking the same questions I did.