Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 08:07:01 +0200

>> One difficulty here is that Eglot exists for some years, so what it
>> does and how is pretty clear; by contrast, tree-sitter support in
>> Emacs is very young, and where it could potentially develop needs more
>> study, at least on my part.
>
>For example, at least up-front, it sounds like the LSP specification
>supports both fontifications and indentation.  Eglot, AFAICT, allows
>to request the language server to do the latter (via the eglot-format
>command), but doesn't support requesting information about token
>types, which could be used for fontification.
>
>So, at least in principle, the functionalities based on these two
>could overlap.  If that is indeed so, we'd need to decide whether we
>support the overlapping functionalities or use each one of these
>packages for capabilities that are disjoint, whereby each
>functionality is supported by the package that does it best (for some
>value of "best").

I'm not sure putting all of this behind json parsing is the best idea. In the
case where a server can produce 30k completion per keystroke, adding in font
lock for a file of 15k lines is begging for trouble. Not to mention all the
other stuff jsonrpc returns in in the meantime.

This ends very quickiy in unresponsive emacs per keystroke