Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Roman Rudakov
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:34:51 +0200

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Some of the popular major modes for which we would like to see
tree-sitter support in Emacs 29 are:

 c-mode
 c++-mode
 emacs-lisp-mode
 js-mode
 js-json-mode
 ruby-mode
 shell-script-mode

I'd like to add in Java support here as well. But since java is part of
cc-mode.el, maybe it'd be best if it got its own mode, say
java-treesitter-mode.el, so that we don't add a dependency into cc-mode?
If you agree, I can create such a major-mode as well.

Also, how should we mandate what modes get the new tree-sitter support? It is pretty fast to add new modes, and adding support for languages not already supported in core, such as say, golang, should be very feasible.
But maybe that is something that should live in elpa?

Theo

Hi! I had an idea to work on tree-sitter support for Java, but I don't
have a lot of experience with Emacs-lisp and I haven't signed a
copyright assignment. Though I used emacs for java development for a
while with tree-sitter and I have some queries in my config which might
be useful.

https://git.sr.ht/~rrudakov/dotfiles/tree/master/item/emacs.d/emacs.org#L2453-2623

Feel free to use it.
--