Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:40:45 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com,  theo@thornhill.no,  acm@muc.de,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  jostein@kjonigsen.net
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:23:43 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, but Emacs is not only for editing computer programs.  It is also
> > for editing human-readable text, email exchange, writing program
> > documentation, and other areas where support for various scripts and
> > languages is important.  Otherwise, why would we invest such a
> > significant effort into providing and developing those features?  Why
> > did Emacs so painstakingly go from unibyte text representation to
> > multibyte in version 20?
>
> Program documentation is mostly written in English.

No, it isn't.  It was, like 30 years ago.  But not today.

> > Anyway, this line of reasoning is a non-starter.  You are, in effect,
> > denying the whole chunk of Emacs history and development since the
> > late 90s.
>
> No.  Support for many different scripts is obviously nice-to-have, but
> is not at all crucial for a text editor that primarily edits code.

Emacs is not "primarily for editing code", it is a general-purpose
text-editing environment, suitable to edit _any_ text for _any_
purpose.

> What feature in Emacs requires connecting to the internet to work?
> package.el aside: packages can easily be retrieved via ftp, installed
> manually, and are not required for Emacs to work well.

When did you last time try to use FTP?  It is disabled on many
servers, and is considered unsafe for many years.  It is no longer
relevant for modern connectivity.

Look, this argument goes nowhere, so let's just stop wasting our time.