Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:38:18 -0400

> In some cases, such as the two I mentioned, nothing.  With others, such
> as go-mode, something.  This could be some integration with package
> managers, documentation lookup functions, etc.  In most cases, but not
> all this is solved by LSP.  In the cases where there are benefits in the
> original mode that needs to be handled case by case.

"Solve by LSP" will only solve it for some users.  To best server the
users, we still need to actively make efforts to integrate the old and
the new modes, such as by making the old mode into a derived mode of the
new mode, and then move missing features from the old mode to the
new one.

Experience tells me that if there's a builtin mode and a third-party
mode, their natural course is to diverging.  That results in more work,
worse modes, and a poor user experience (silly choice between two
similar contenders, confusing info on the web, ...).

It's very hard to integrate two different modes after the fact, so we
should make sure the new mode is integrated with the old one from the
start (usually by making the old mode a derived mode of the new one),
and work together with the old mode's maintainer to keep them in-sync
and reduce the differences over time.

        Stefan