Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:26:01 +0800

> That's easy to fix: make tree-sitter a required dependency.
> No need to maintain our own version of it.
>
> If/when tree-sitter becomes unmaintained, we may decide to revisit this
> choice, but I see no reason to cross this bridge in the foreseeable future.

Once again, famous last words.

Emacs currently has no dependencies other than system libraries:
terminfo/termcap/curses.  As a result, it builds out of the box on AIX
with the XL C compiler.

It does not depend on gnutls, HarfBuzz, Cairo, or even libraries that
really are available everywhere such as XCB.  Why require tree-sitter?