Re: Emacs + bear + compile_commands.json + clangd

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Emacs + bear + compile_commands.json + clangd
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 06:32:34 +0200

Matt Armstrong <matt@rfc20.org> writes:

>> I've never had to use --force-wrapper or alter compile_commands.json.
>
> Regarding compile_commands.json, if I use the compile_commands.json
> generated by bear, with eglot, with clangd version "Debian clangd
> version 14.0.6-2", it works well for .c files but not .h files.
>
> E.g. I open src/buffer.h and I get these errors in flymake (this is a
> small subset):
>
>    26   9 error    e-f-b    clang [unknown_typename]: In included file:
> unknown type name 'INLINE_HEADER_BEGIN'
>     1   0 error    e-f-b    clang [fatal_too_many_errors]: Too many errors
> emitted, stopping now
>   283   4 error    e-f-b    clang [unknown_typename]: Unknown type name
> 'INTERVAL'
>   722   9 warning  e-f-b    clang [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]: Implicit
> declaration of function 'PSEUDOVECTORP' is invalid in C99
>   877   5 warning  e-f-b    clang [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]: Implicit
> declaration of function 'NILP' is invalid in C99
>  1079  26 error    e-f-b    clang [expr_not_ice]: Expression is not an
> integer constant expression
>  1256   7 error    e-f-b    clang [unknown_typename]: Unknown type name
> 'INTERVAL'
>  1573  14 warning  e-f-b    clang [-Wint-conversion]: Incompatible integer to
> pointer conversion initializing 'Lisp_Object' (aka 'struct Lisp_X *') with an
> expression of type 'int'
>  1573  21 warning  e-f-b    clang [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]: Implicit
> declaration of function 'CHAR_TABLE_REF' is invalid in C99
>
> I always assumed that this was becuase clangd didn't know how to compile
> src/buffer.h and is unable to figure it out:
>
> Given all this I have no idea how your experience with clangd could
> different, but I'm not a clangd expert 🤔.

I'm not an expert for anything, but I don't see such errors here.
Strange.

>> My current version is bear 3.0.20, on macOS 12.6.  What's your system?
>
> bear 3.0.20 on Debian/Bullseye (testing)

Thanks.

> My issue may have been related to building with Address Sanitizer, which
> I think also (might) play games with LD_PRELOAD.  I tried
> --force-wrapper and it worked for me.  ;-)

:-).  And BTW, I'm also using ASAN here, almost all the time, and don't
see this either.  This is with the system compiler, which is Apple clang
version 14.0.0 (clang-1400.0.29.102).

Maybe I'll try the lldb from LLVM 15 a try at some point.