Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:20:43 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  liliana.prikler@gmail.com,
>>   rlb@defaultvalue.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org, Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 22:57:51 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > No, it should not happen, because async JIT compilation processes run
>> > Emacs in batch mode, and async compilation is disabled in batch mode
>> > (for this very reason).
>>
>> As we've covered many times recently -- yes, but no.
>>
>> .elc -> .eln generation is off, but trampolines are on, and comp.el
>> forks an Emacs to generate those, too, I think?  So if the forked Emacs
>> also needs to generate the same trampoline, you have an infinite
>> recursion fork bomb.
>
> Andrea, how can we prevent that?

Dumb question: can't we just run the spawned compilation processes with
--no-site-file?

Other option is to break circularity with an ad-hoc global variable set
in the spawned process.  I've a cooked patch for that but no energy left
to test it tonight.  If that's the preferred way I can test and push it
tomorrow.

Best Regards

  Andrea