Re: A vc wish: vc-timemachine

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: A vc wish: vc-timemachine
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:26:33 -0400

I grant you that these capabilities are present in a vc-annotate buffer.

That said, vc-annotate is a jarring presentation.  As I browse through different revisions I want the major mode to remain that of the original (non-annotated) file.  I want syntax-based highlighting, lsp support, etc.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 6:29 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
On 16.10.2022 14:49, John Yates wrote:
> My druthers would be for a vc-browse command that pops a new buffer
> containing the most recently committed revision of the subject file.
> It would support operations similar to git-timemachine:
> * vc-browse-show-previous
> * vc-browse-show-next
>
> git-timemachine style refinements could include:
> * vc-browse-show-commit
> * vc-browse-show-annotation
> * vc-browsw-goto-earlier-commit   (regex search)

Is vc-annotate missing much of these features?

The navigation is there (n, p, d, l, a), the panel is togglable. I
suppose we could tune the colors and/or the absence of font-lock.

--
John Yates
505 Tremont St, #803