Re: tree-sitter: Paths used for loading of language definitions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tree-sitter: Paths used for loading of language definitions
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:39:25 +0300

> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> Cc: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,  jostein@kjonigsen.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:56:38 -0700
>
> >   Error: Cannot load language definition: "javascript”,
> > “libtree-sitter-javascript.so”: No such file or directory
>
> I would find it helpful if the error message told me what variable
> contains the search path, so I can append the correct directory to it.

We don't say that when we fail to load other kinds of files.  For
example:

  (load "nonexistent")
   => error: (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory"
"nonexistent")

So I see no reason to mention the variable in this case.  There's no
limit to relevant information to supply for an error, but we cannot
possibly give all of that when we signal an error.  The failure to
load a file should prompt the user to look for the information how
these files are looked up, and that should lead to the variable,
among other things.