Re: [patch: first impression]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [patch: first impression]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:28:13 +0200

>>> "DG" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 18.10.2022 09:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> - do the same but run commit-patch-buffer using the perl script
>> commit-patch
>> time: 26 sec

> That's all after pressing C-c C-c after typing in the commit message, right?

Right!

> That's a lot. I have a big checkout of the Mozilla repo, and a similar
> operation takes about ~3 seconds. And that already feels sluggish.

Well

    1. it is a huge repository,

    2. It has over 200 000 commits

    3. It is converted.

So I did the same on the hg repository itself. Which

    1. Only 200 MB

    2. 50 000 commits

    3. It is native hg

I did the same, reverted to files edit the diff and then commited

    1. Lisp implementation 8 sec

    2. Commit-patch 4 sec

Not sure what is the conclusion here. Well in general hg is slower especially
if there are a lot of named branches, but the emacs-hg repository has one the
default
and hg has 2, default and stable

Strange indeed.

> But of course it depends on the number of files and their sizes, I suppose.

>> Conclusion, for most practical purpose the lisp implementation is
>> enough. I just considered an extreme case.

> Wish we managed to implement something faster for Hg.

> 'hg import --bypass' seemed the most promising option, but the 'hg
> update tip' step that you suggested can end up in conflict.

It is not clear to me why?

> I've searched for some "plumbing" Hg command corresponding to 'git
> reset --soft' and couldn't find it.

 git reset --soft
 should be

  hg revert

if I am not mistaken

 git reset --hard
would be
hg revert --no-backup

I think

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.