Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 08:19:32 -0400

Philip Kaludercic [2022-10-19 07:08:34] wrote:
>>> I have pushed a first draft and it appears to work.  It doesn't yet
>>> handle all attribute (such as :doc), but that should be doable when I
>>> find the time.
>> Side note: installing packages from Git (like what you're implementing
>> in the `package+vc` branch) is already one of the functionalities
>> supported by `elpa-admin.el` so it would be good to try and share/reuse
>> that code as much as possible.
> That is only possible insofar I don't have to rely on Git features,
> since package-vc intends to be VC-generic.

I'm thinking of things like the code that handles `:doc` or `:make`.
These don't care about Git.

I don't think that the code in `elpa-admin.el` can be used as-is, but it
would be good to try and change them in tandem (maybe by extracting the
common code into some new file?).

>> Actually part of `elpa-admin.el` might also be helpful for the
>> ELPA-bundling feature.
>> So we should move more of `elpa-admin.el` into Emacs's own code.
> As part of `package-vc' or as a new module?

I think either way is fine.  The whole `elpa-admin.el` contains things
that are irrelevant to Emacs itself, so we'll likely keep a separate
file like that, but the code that's useful for other uses
(i.e. package-vc and/or bundled-ELPA) should be moved out (tho
elpa-admin.el has to be backward compatible to some extent, so we'll
have to keep a "local" copy of whatever is moved to a common file
hosted in emacs.git, at least for a few years).

        Stefan