Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:15:00 -0400

> Trust me, I have my own bad experiences with CC Mode fontification.  See
> the slew of bugs I found and reported with Emacs 29's CC Mode just this
> week: bug#58537, bug#58534, bug#58539.  My problem is the blanket
> dismissal of what CC Mode actually gets right that seems to be
> alarmingly prevalent around here ("... in Emacs 30, let's get rid of CC
> Mode!")

Some people seem very optimistic about what tree-sitter will bring, yes.
I think our track record should be enough to reassure users that we
won't just throw away CC-mode if tree-sitter doesn't prove to be
a worthy replacement *and* that it won't be thrown away any time soon
even if tree-sitter is much better.

Also, the fact that Alan still maintains CC-mode for Emacs-21 suggests
that CC-mode will still be maintained well into the 2030s, regardless if
it's still included in Emacs by then.

So, let's all take a deep breath and just wait to see how things play
out before we make any assumption or decision.

        Stefan