Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 19:44:07 +0200

> How about "hack on the package sources and add new features to share
> with others"?

Honestly?  The term "new features" has become the central mantra of all
modern "agile" software (read: "shit").  With free software, we can have
a more mature approach.

One might want to hack on a package to learn from it.  Or to discuss it
with a friend.  Or to add some tests.  Or simply to have fun!

(If I had to pick two verbs for the sentence, I would go with "hack" and
"share".  No "new features" needed.)

> Hmm, I see what you mean but I don't know if this is a good idea in
> general when using `package-update-all' to have a log buffer pop up
> for every package.

I imagine a list of packages, similar to 'list-packages', e.g.

|---------------+---------+-------+------------------|------------------
| [[ vertico ]] |    0.27 |  0.28 | [[ 17 changes ]] | VERTical Inte...
| [[ magit   ]] |   3.2.1 | 3.3.0 | [[ 80 changes ]] | A Git porcela...

where [[ ... ]] denotes a button.

A single click on the "17 changes" button would then open the version
control log with the 17 commits between Vertico 0.27 and 0.28, Emacs
experience!

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic.'"

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia