RE: [External] : CL packages landed

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : CL packages landed
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 20:13:57 +0000

> >> I've pushed the branch "pkg" which implements CL packages for Emacs.
> >
> > Bonne initiative !  Really appreciated, Gerd.
> > ___
> >
> > Now we should figure out a good way to disambiguate
> > the use of the word "package", for our docs etc.,
> > to help users understand that this and the Emacs
> > "package" system are completely different species.
>
> Elixir has 'module' and I quite like it, but that might conflict with so
> called 'dynamic modules' in Emacs land.

Dunno whether you see that as a possibility for the
existing "package" system or as a possibility for
CL "packages".  Could be either.

CL packages are essentially _namespaces_ - something
less than what modules are sometimes asked to do.

(FWIW, I think it's too bad we chose "package" for a
library, but it is what it is.)  We could perhaps
choose "namespace" for what's really (or essentially?)
a CL package.