Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 16:03:46 -0400

  > > That is good -- as far as it goes.  But most people who build
  > > containers to release a free program don't do it with GNU Guix.  And I
  > > don't think most of them are free software activists.  When they
  > > release free program this way, the risk is real.

  > Applying this logic and argument, you have to put the same
  > consideration and/or warning around the usage of GNU tar inside GNU
  > Emacs.

The problem with containers (Docker, etc) is that commonly used
ways of creating the container choose the contents for you,
and might include nonfree programs without your knowing.

Running GNU tar cannot do that.  To create a tar archive, you have
to specify the precise list of files to include in it.
That is the crucial difference between containers and tar.