Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 07:47:48 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:31:35 +0000
>
> I have heard from people who prefer a rolling release model for their
> packages, and requested that their packages not be added for {Non,}GNU
> ELPA if they would have to update the version header manually,
> presumably on every commit.  The following patch would enable ELPA
> devel-like versioning on ELPA, if enabled with a :rolling-release
> property.  WDYT?

Not a comment on the patch, but the idea behind it: I find the current
arrangement between GNU ELPA and GNU-devel ELPA to give me the best of
both worlds.  Users who need rolling releases can opt in to the "devel"
version: this has the upside of explicitly acknowledging that the
package is not marked as "stable".

The user can also arrange the 'package-archive-priorities' to choose
gnu-devel by default.  And there is also 'package-pinned-packages' in
case they want a different archive for a given package. Example from my
init file where I prioritise regular GNU ELPA:

    (setq package-pinned-packages
          '((cursory . "elpa-devel")
            (denote . "elpa-devel")
            (ef-themes . "elpa-devel")