Re: vc-find-revision-no-save?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-find-revision-no-save?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:42:08 +0300

On 24.10.2022 03:27, John Yates wrote:
Notice that the default is nil.  What is the logic in allowing an
historic revision to be associated with a file?  Why is it not merely
a readonly buffer with no backing file?

Perhaps I have been too influenced by git...  My mental model is that
revisions are immutable_values_.  Is that not vc's model?

Caching? Easy of copying to replace the original?

VC's old, and a lot of it prefers convenience over purity. Including the convenience of implementation.