Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:00:31 +0000

Jostein Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net> writes:

> On 24.10.2022 08:14, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
>> The patch seems fine to me, but I'm a bit skeptical about the whole
>> rolling releases idea in general
>
> This is the default operation for MELPA, which arguably has more
> popular packages than ELPA.

To my knowledge all of the major packages on MELPA are also available
via GNU or NonGNU ELPA, so I don't know if this is really an argument.

>> How hard it is for people to actually update version timestamps
>> themselves or to just stick to the *-devel repos if they don't want
>> to cut releases?
>
> As a package-developer, I may release patches weekly, but I update
> main versions maybe once every second year, if/when someone bothers me
> about it.
>
> Not having to version things manually is a god-send.

It really depends, I am certainly no recommending to enable this by
default.  The idea is just to accommodate people like you who prefer
this mode of publishing releases.