Re: eglot.el commentary suggestion

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: eglot.el commentary suggestion
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:00:53 +0100

Hi Robert, thanks for reading the commentary,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:16 AM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
>     João> Yes. Be sure to read the commentary on the file's header able compatibility
>     João> with other Emacs versions, and design philosophy in general. Happy to add
>     João> clarifications. Grammar fixes welcome there, too ;-)
> I know we all laugh about how weʼre all pedants, but there are people
> who suffer from debilitating OCD and related syndromes, so perhaps we
> can tone down the humour:

Or we can turn it up to 11 with your other much better suggestion!

-;;   of Emacs power users, but these users can use `eglot-stay-out-of'
-;;   and `eglot-managed-mode-hook' to quench their OCD.
+;;   of Emacs power pedants, but these users can use
+;;   `eglot-stay-out-of' and `eglot-managed-mode-hook' to quench their
+;;   debilitating OCD and related syndromes.

Then maybe add a heart emoji or fluffy ascii kitten to subdue the
hyperventilation.

I'd focus efforts on making eglot-stay-out-of and e-m-m-hook less necessary
in the first place.  For example:

* If the default of eldoc-documentation-strategy were eldoc-d-compose Eglot could
  stop setting eldoc-documentation-strategy and tweak more ElDoc stuff.

* If Eglot supported multiple LSP servers simultaneously, less people would need to
  tweak flymake-diagnostic-functions to add e.g. a ESlint backend to it.

* If Emacs had a decent built-in TUI and GUI completion tooltip with less
  baggage, Eglot could stop setting company-backends, etc.

* I _think_ Eglot can already stop setting xref-prompt-for-identifier, but I'm not
  100% sure.

--
João power pedant doctrinaire emeritus III