Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:05:14 +0300

To be clear - I'm not arguing against the inclusion of this. :-) Assuming the package maintainers know what they are doing, that'd be perfectly fine by me.

Not quite, the time stamp is appended to the regular version number.

Well, normally there's no "regular version" when you're doing rolling releases. If there is - those would not be rolling releases, but snapshots between regular releases. I know that MELPA preserves the original version, but I think that doesn't make sense for a real rolling release.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
"Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev> writes:

> Instead of setting version numbers manually (e.g. 0.1, 0.2) upon
> release time, with rolling releases every change (commit) pushed
> upstream results automatically in a new release and a version bump,
> with the version being a timestamp.

Not quite, the time stamp is appended to the regular version number.

>                                      E.g. if I push 3 commits one day
> with some time between them this will result in 3 releases. I think
> it's a great approach for snapshot (devel) repos, but I'm not so sure
> about "stable" repos, as it kinda of implies that the author will
> never have their project in an inconsistent state (e.g. halfway
> towards a new feature).

Right, so it would only be used whenever a package author prefers that
method of development.

> This approach was made popular by https://melpa.org/
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022, at 11:14 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>>   > I have heard from people who prefer a rolling release model for their
>>   > packages,
>>
>> Can you explain what that means, concretely?  How is t different from
>> what we do now?

It is currently necessary to bump the version tag in the package header
to indicate that a release is to be made.  If a package specification
has a non-nil :rolling-release tag, then this is done whenever the
repository is synchronised.

>>               and requested that their packages not be added for {Non,}GNU
>>   > ELPA if they would have to update the version header manually,
>>   > presumably on every commit.
>>
>> Is this something we would _want_ to do?  What would its implications
>> be for Emacs?

It wouldn't affect Emacs, just packages that request this kind of
release management.

>> We might decide to support their style of release, or decide not to
>> include their packages in NonGNU ELPA, or we might come up with
>> another solution.  I don't know what's best.  But I'm sure we should
>> think about that before we decide.

If the only issue a package has is that it is developed using a "rolling
release" model, it would be nonsensical for us to not accommodate the
request and reject a (perhaps popular) package on that ground.