Re: Installation from ELPA

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Installation from ELPA
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 17:57:59 -0400

  > No, it normally fetches a tarball which contains pretty much the same
  > contents as the upstream's Git repository.  We then byte-compile
  > the ELisp files locally.

That means the user does get the source by default with the corrent
design.  And could edit them, too.

That mans the node name "Package from Source" is quite misleading.

Using the proposed package-repo command would create a checkout
of the ELPA repo, which is different from the current way of
installing a package, and that might be useful.