Re: Keep global-mode-string on its own "modeline"?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Keep global-mode-string on its own "modeline"?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 11:20:27 -0400

> There is no good reason for `global-mode-string' to be displayed in
> every single window's modeline separately, it takes a lot of space, and
> it usually ends up not completely showing when the window is split more
> than once.

Indeed, we moved it to the end of the mode-line because it ended up
hiding more important info :-)

As to where to put it, it's kind of tricky since Emacs doesn't have much
single place where to put such a thing.
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/minibuffer-line.html is an attempt to use
the echo area for that.

It has many shortcomings, IIRC, and would probably benefit from some
love, but you might want to try it out, both to discover its limits and
to see whether it hypothetically could be a good approach if we could
fix some of its shortcomings.

        Stefan