emacs-erc

Re: master 19ef864 2/2: Fix an example in ERC docs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 19ef864 2/2: Fix an example in ERC docs
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:20:41 +0200

Hi Amin,

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> >     Fix an example in ERC docs
> >
> >     * doc/misc/erc.texi (Connecting):
> >     * lisp/erc/erc.el (erc, erc-tls): Fix example to use J. Random Hacker
> >     instead of Harry S. Truman.
> [...]
>
> Sorry I don't quite follow; what problem does this commit "fix"?
> What was the issue with using "Harry S Truman" that needed fixing?

It fixes the same issue as if the examples were using e.g. Donald J
Trump or Joseph V Stalin. These are known war criminals that do not
deserve mentioning here.

Truman is not only the only state leader to ever have used nuclear
weapons against civilian populations, but also said at the time: "The
only language they seem to understand is the one we have been using to
bombard them.  When you have to deal with a beast you have to treat
him as a beast.”  Note that the bombs were dropped in early August,
after repeated attempts by Japan at negotiating a ceasefire in July -
and after the Japanese were effectively already defeated.  The people
in the area suffer to this day.

J Random Hacker on the other hand is not a known war criminal.