emacs-erc

Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:29:43 +0100

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Hi Stefan. Any idea if this is a recent phenomenon or more along the
> lines of traditional behavior, perhaps involving `erc-join-buffer', for
> example?

erc has behaved this way as long as I can remember, and it's really
annoying (especially when a server bounces and erc reconnects, popping
up windows everywhere while I'm trying to get some work done).

So I'm all for making erc stopping doing this.

erc does not pop up windows when somebody messages you (but just
displays something in the mode line), and I think that's what erc should
do for all buffers (by default; there could be a user option to allow it
to pop up windows, of course).