emacs-erc

Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 05:13:58 -0800

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> On balance, I don't have a strong opinion either way.  (I do like
> `erc-reconnect-display' slightly better, because many variables that end
> with `-buffer' have to do with the _name_ of some buffer.  But it is
> true that it is also nice to have a name similar to `erc-join-buffer'.)

Screw it. Let's go with `erc-reconnect-display'.

> I just have some minor nits below:
>
>> +(defvar-local erc--server-last-reconnect-count 0
>> +  "Snapshot of reconnect count when connection established.")
>
> "when the connection was established", perhaps?

Now reads as ^.

> What is the difference between `buffer' and t?  Should they really have
> the same :tag?

No idea to both, unfortunately. But since the option is only used in
that one function (`erc-setup-buffer'), and since we don't claim
like-for-like compatibility with `erc-join-buffer' (which we've already
deviated from anyway by offering a choice of nil) ...

> I suggest we drop one of them.

Agreed. Thanks.