emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:48:08 +0800

"l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> Thank you for the thoughtful reply!
>
>> Just so that we are on the same page, (since I haven't revisited French
>> for a few years and have never used « » in proper French contexts,)
>> , or something else?
>
> « text »
>
> The nbsp type depends on the locale (France/Canada/etc.) but it is an nbsp.

Tried this and found nothing French-related, so I guess for this part
the locale has to be manually matched and/or defcustomed.

    /usr/share/i18n/locales $ grep « -R .
    ./de_DE:“ «;<U0022>
    ./de_DE:‟ «;<U0022>

>> (And while you are at it, as I noticed that you have a space before the
>> exclamation mark, some further insights about spacings in French with
>> other punctuations would be more than welcome. :) )
>
> Indeed. All the French "double" punctuation marks are preceded by a similar
> nbsp.
>
> ! ? ; :
>
> The extra spaces can be added by my external spell/typo checker, but since
> I'm at it, I'd be happy to have a solution that works for French.

Interesting -- and it does align with my memory of (attempts of) reading
French text.

So, this sounds like the goal is more than just "add space between
French quotes".  Maybe someone can make a package whose name may be
electric-french.el or the like, which exposes a minor mode to insert
nbsp's for French punctuations.  I don't necessarily have the time, so I
won't make any promises here. :)

--
Best,

RY