emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 07:27:08 +0000

l@tlo writes:

Hello,

> Right in the middle of finishing my MA thesis in org-mode, I'm trying
> to fix the electric-pair mode default that inserts «» without the
> required non-breakable spaces that we have in French.

I understand that you put the french guillemets and spaces directly in
your Org document, right? I think it is best practice not to use
'typographical quotes' in Org. That is, use inside Org the expected
quotes for plain text ("..."), and let the typographical conventions of
each language be resolved in the export. In org you can use the
org-export-with-smart-quotes option (':t). A basic setup can be:

#+LANGUAGE: fr
#+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{babel}

"Lorem ipsum dolor"

With this you will get the french quotes (with spaces) on export to
LaTeX, html, odt, etc. If you need finer tuning (LaTeX only), or you
work with multilingual documents, I would take a look at the LaTeX
csquotes package: https://www.ctan.org/pkg/csquotes

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Macías