emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: l@tlo
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 17:19:45 +0900

Thank you Juan for the reply.

> On May 28, 2023, at 16:27, Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> l@tlo writes:
>
> Hello,
>
>> Right in the middle of finishing my MA thesis in org-mode, I'm trying
>> to fix the electric-pair mode default that inserts «» without the
>> required non-breakable spaces that we have in French.
>
> I understand that you put the french guillemets and spaces directly in
> your Org document, right? I think it is best practice not to use
> 'typographical quotes' in Org. That is, use inside Org the expected
> quotes for plain text ("..."), and let the typographical conventions of
> each language be resolved in the export.

That's a very English centered option/process and I don't think that should be
considered the proper way for people to write a French document in org-mode (or
any text based format for that matter).

> In org you can use the
> org-export-with-smart-quotes option (':t). A basic setup can be:

That option does not take into account the « and » that are in the text and
thus does not produce the expected output.

It does not properly output secondary quotation marks either.

Also, if I set the document to Japanese, the export won't convert the "..." to
the expected 「」.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org