emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 16:29:04 +0800

Ruijie Yu via Emacs-humanities <emacs-humanities@gnu.org> writes:

> So, this sounds like the goal is more than just "add space between
> French quotes".  Maybe someone can make a package whose name may be
> electric-french.el or the like, which exposes a minor mode to insert
> nbsp's for French punctuations.  I don't necessarily have the time, so I
> won't make any promises here. :)

Alright, got some free time to spend, so here you go:

    https://git.sr.ht/~ruijieyu/electric-french

This should work fine together with `electric-pair-mode', but it only
works with characters bound to `self-insert-command' (or commands
wrapping it), not characters inserted via

    C-x 8 RET ... RET

, because in this case, the character is inserted via `insert',
therefore the hooks which the minor mode places in
`post-self-insert-hook' are not run at all.

Two caveats though:

1. I have only tested it on master build, so I am not 100% certain about
the minimum supported version listed there.

2. I have not tried to `package-vc-install' it.  Let me know if doing so
shows any errors.

--
Best,

RY