emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 20:40:50 +0800

"l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

>>> It does not properly output secondary quotation marks either.
>>
>> hmm, you're right. I think there is a bug in org-smart-quotes-alist. The
>> french inner quotes should be “...”, I think without spaces. However,
>> the current value is:
>>
>> ("fr"
>>  (primary-opening :utf-8 "« " :html "&laquo;&nbsp;" :latex "\\og " :texinfo
>> "@guillemetleft{}@tie{}")
>>  (primary-closing :utf-8 " »" :html "&nbsp;&raquo;" :latex "\\fg{}" :texinfo
>> "@tie{}@guillemetright{}")
>>  (secondary-opening :utf-8 "« " :html "&laquo;&nbsp;" :latex "\\og "
>> :texinfo "@guillemetleft{}@tie{}")
>>  (secondary-closing :utf-8 " »" :html "&nbsp;&raquo;" :latex "\\fg{}"
>> :texinfo "@tie{}@guillemetright{}")
>>  (apostrophe :utf-8 "’" :html "&rsquo;"))
>
> Indeed. That’s a bug.

If you think so, it is probably best if you tell Org devs about it.
Either `M-x org-submit-bug-report RET' or mailto:emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.

(I'm 80% sure I have seen you on that list in the past, but just for the
record.)

>>> Also, if I set the document to Japanese, the export won't convert the "..."
>>> to the expected 「」.
>>
>> org-smart-quotes-alist does not cover all languages. But patches can be
>> sent to add support for more cases, like Japanese. As you can see from
>> what I have put above, the syntax is pretty simple.
>
> But that would mean, for languages that have different input systems, that
> they
> have to shift to ascii just to enter “ and move back to the original
> system. That’s not sustainable. That’s forcing an English centric (ascii-us)
> way
> of writing on non-English users. That’s totally backward.

Agreed.  I wonder how ASCII works with Cyrillic or Greek keyboards
nowadays.  IIUC, they do not type ASCII characters unless the user
somehow configures it to do so.

--
Best,

RY